Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TV Guilt





     For the longest time I never really let my kids watch TV at all. My husband actually calls me the TV Nazi. After being a teacher and reading all the studies about how bad TV is for kids and telling other parents that, I felt like it was best to not really let them watch it. Whenever I'm not home though, they always seem to watch it or when Liam goes to my mom's he always watches TV there. Then I would get irritated with my husband and my mom for letting them watch TV when they just had them for a couple hours since I am with them all day and I don't let them.
     As Liam has gotten older I've started letting him watch TV here and there. Now it seems he just keeps watching it more and more and that's where the guilt comes in. What once was a once in a while treat, is now something he asks for everyday and gets upset about when I don't let him. A couple of days I let him watch it when he got home from preschool and his brothers were sleeping, so I could finish cleaning or whatever I was doing. He's only at school for 2.5 hours and by the time I get Declan and Rory (if he's cooperating) to sleep, I usually only have about 30 free minutes if I'm lucky.  Now Liam wants to watch Jake and the Neverland Pirates (his favorite show and the only thing he wants to watch) everyday after school, he tells me "mom that's just what I like to do after school, it's no big deal mom. You know how kids are with routine, you do something more then once then they think you should do it everyday. Then if I do let him I feel extremely guilty, but on the other hand I feel like maybe I am being too strict about it. I just have this fear it will snowball into more and more as he gets older. So, what are your opinions about TV, what do you do in your house?

10 comments:

  1. Just select the TV program that they can watch. I restrict my kids from watching spongebob, Johnny test, and other programs that has negative stuff in it.

    I am your new follower from Welcome Wednesday. You can follow me at Spice Up Your Life or my other blogs that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I worry about this too. I do let my daughter watch TV but try to limit it. She has a bit in the morning and a bit in the evening - when she tends to be tired and grumpy. I like Cbeebies as there are no adverts. I think as long as I'm there talking to her about it and not just using it as a babysitter then its ok. After all I watch telly when I'm tired and there are some great programs out there - which can really stimulate your imagination. Sometimes you do need to get on and do a few jobs and then its really useful - my daughter won't really play on her own for long.

    I get so annoyed with my hubby too - he does the same thing and resorts to the telly straight away whenever he has the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have watched a little too much TV during the winter, but during the summer, the kids are outside as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Monday Monkey Blog Hop! Following you via GFC! Please stop by my blog:
    http://tonithechicmomma.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!
    Toni The Chic Momma

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont think there are many parents who dont feel the same way you do. imho -- as long as tv is monitored, in moderation, never eaten in front of, and NEVER used as a babysitter -- all is well.

    Hiya – found ya via WHiMsiCaL Wednesday hop – newest follower – come by and say hi and follow back if ya like!
    ♥cyn♥
    misadventures of a chunky goddess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping along on Wordless Wednesday! Follow back @ http://www.pargasjunkyard.wordpress.com and on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/PargasJunkyard
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in a home where there was NO TV-I survived, so when my kids complaine after they've watched their one show I remind them I made it with out TV they can too---READ A BOOK, DRAW, somany other things to do with their young minds.Your son is correct in wanting to have a routine, so set up a chart-TV on MWF and T TH play-doh or color is other lil one is still sleeping and he need to be quiter.
    I tell my kids they can make up for it when they are older--LIKE me LOL my friends all joke that I watch a lot of TV now to make up for 20 years without one ;D
    Here with Terrific Thursday blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't feel guilty - you have nothing to feel bad about! i've not heard of that show, but i'm sure it is mildly educational...so what can it hurt? if it teaches him something then that is a win, to me.

    wm

    ReplyDelete
  9. i feel the same all though my son 3 yo always seems to be parked in front of it or using our ipad but he is also autistic and it helps keep him calm we did go a few months with little tv but it quickly spiraled out of control when he hit a rough patch. I think that if it is part of his routine and its just the 1 show ( we like jake too and in fact its on now lol) than its ok.

    new follow from hop i got u on twitter too @elstimpo21 come check out my blog http://melblackwell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the anti-TV Nazi! lol I am guilty of having TV on 24 hours a day as background noise. I do manage to turn it off when we leave the house, but it is always running somewhere in the house at all times when we are home. I am a bit of an addict and honestly if we didn't have TV, or TiVo or Netflix, we would spend more "quality" time together. It's definitely a crutch to set my daughter in front of Sprout so I can get some laundry done! lol

    ReplyDelete