Monday, September 12, 2011

Baby led weaning

   




    Wow, is it just me I never heard of this before today until I came across it on the Internet. It basically means once your child turns 6 months instead of feeding them pureed food give them small finger foods of whatever you are eating and let them feed themselves. I love this idea, I think with Rory I might try it and see how it works out. We gave Declan what we were eating I think at about 7 or 8 months and once he had it he refused pureed foods, who could blame him? So, after that I pretty much gave him what we had and just made sure we were eating at least one thing I thought he could eat. Being the youngest I bet Rory will want to start eating our food anyways, plus I could actually eat instead of feeding him first. He's 5 months now and I have been giving him rice cereal, but that's about it so far. Once he turns 6 months I'm going to give this a try. Have any moms out there tried this? If so let me know how it worked out. If you want more information about it here is the site Baby Led Weaning.  Once I try it I will let you know how it works out for us:)

6 comments:

  1. Trying to catch up from the Hop Along Friday blog hop! Sorry I'm so late!! I'm your newest follower from each of my blogs. I'd love for you to visit them -

    Totally Reinventing Me

    Life Full of Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I could see this, as I started feeding my son puree food at around 4 months I think. He was a chunky monkey and great eater. I am currently pregnant and will deff look into it. As it makes since, I am sure this 2nd one will want what we are all eating. And my son wouldn't feed himself till he was 2!! So maybe that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned this from the internet too! We figured we would loosely attempt it with our son, and he was all for it. In fact, he wouldn't let us feed him ever; even when we did give him the occasional puree, he had to feed himself or at least try. I think it's a great idea and it helps kids learn about textures and gives them control over what they eat, but I'm definitely not anti-puree or anything! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting. My kids are a little old for that, but it's good info to pass along to friends.

    I'm a new follower from the Totally Tuesday blog hop. It's nice to meet you! Hope you can stop by and say hi. :)

    Wife on the Roller Coaster
    http://www.ridingtherollercoaster.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter never had pureed foods. She was breast-fed and would just reach out for the food on our plate , broccoli etc. In fact, she won't eat pureed food at all now. She was very late getting teeth but used her hard gums to chomp down on just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i learned about this from a moms group i belong to and i'm def going to do this w/ my 8 mo old! i love the concept!

    annae07 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete