Thursday, January 31, 2013

Our Homeschool Day

     Since taking Liam out of preschool we have begun homeschooling, but because he is my oldest our days are pretty simple. Right now my main goal is just to have a rhythm to our days and a time where he knows that we will be doing some school work. Some days don't always go as planned and I also an flexible like when it was 60 degrees just a few days ago we spent the whole morning outside then after lunch just did a little work and that was mainly because he asked to do it. Here's what a typical day looks like here.

7am-8am We all wake up sometimes they all come into bed with me and we cuddle for a bit, other days it's straight downstairs for breakfast
8am-9am We eat breakfast which lately has been yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal because I am not motivated enough to cook. Then I clean up while they play. After that if I haven't done so already I get them all dressed and brush their teeth.
9am-9:30am Typically we will start school around this time. I am a former Montessori teacher, so alot of what we do is based on that method. I also ordered the curriculum book Five in a Row and we have been incorporating that as well.
9:30am-10:30 We usually do a number and letter activity if the younger ones want to participate they do, otherwise  they play or I have some practical life activities for them(I need to get more of these together for them and become more organized in general). We are not always working this whole time sometimes there are breaks it just depends on Liam's mood I want to make sure he's enjoying it.
10:30-11:30 We do an art project, cutting, geography, word building on the computer, research something they are interested in, or practice fine motor skills it depends on the day. Usually we also read our book from Five in Row and try to incorporate a lesson from it as well.
11:30-12:30 Prepare lunch, eat, clean up. Kids play.
12:30-1:15 Play, try to get outside if it's not too cold. I'm sure once it gets nice out we will try to go outside earlier
1:15-1:45pm Get ready for naps. Read a story.
2pm-4pm Nap time. Liam rarely naps now, but I encourage him to have some quiet time for at least an hour. Usually I try to relax for a bit, then I will clean and Liam and I will read stories or play some board games
4pm-5:30pm Everyone is up we have a snack, play, then I start getting dinner ready
5:30pm-6:30pm Dad comes home, we eat dinner, clean up
6:30pm-7:30pm Play
7:30pm-8:30pm Baths every other day, stories, bed time.
8:30-9pm I try to finish cleaning up 
9pm-11pm Relax, plan our next day,  try to be in bed before midnight :) 


     As often as possible we try to go to museums or exploring for hands on experiences. Here's some pictures from the Field Museum and the Planetarium.
 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment