Saturday, August 13, 2011

Montessori in the Home





   After teaching Montessori for seven years there were many tips I would give parents on how they can incorporate it into their homes. Now with my kids I try to follow the philosophy in our daily lives.  So I thought I'd give you guys some tips so you can incorporate it into your home as well.
     If you are unfamiliar with Montessori the philosophy believes it is a child's work to create the person they are to become. As parents we are to guide them through this process. Here are some things you can do at home.
1. Try to limit the use of the word "no" instead try to redirect your child to another activity if they are misbehaving. Use the word "no" for emergencies (hot stove or any situation where your child may be hurt) it gives the word more meaning when used less.
2.  Give natural consequences when possible if your child spills something have them clean it up etc..
3. Try not to have too many toys out at once. If your child has a lot of toys put some away and rotate them.  This way you and your child won't be overwhelmed with too much.
4. Let your child help in the kitchen.  Even young children can help pour, cut, grate, and mix. If you watch over your child they can use a butter knife to cut or they sell items especially for children. Even though they may make a mess they'll have fun and be more open to try different foods.
5.  Try to have stools and items at your child's reach so they can be as independent as possible.
6.  If your child has issues transitioning from one activity to another or getting ready in the morning try using a timer. It will help them gain a sense of time and be more comfortable.
7.  Encourage older siblings or cousins to help teach younger ones.  It teaches the older ones patience and reinforces what they know. Plus younger ones may enjoy learning from older children instead of adults all the time.
8. Offer your child a choice when possible. Say we can either do A or B it will help them feel respected. You will have less battles since they feel like they made the decisions.
9.  Let them choose their own clothes but try to have only a few options available.
10.  Let your child explore nature at a relaxed pace.
11. Give your child 2-3 directions to follow this will help them learn order.
12. When your child is playing and engaged try to just observe and let them work this helps them build concentration..  Don't forget play is a child's work.
13. Remember you are your child's greatest role model, so model behaviors you want them to have.
If there is anything related to teaching or Montessori you would like me to write about let me know. I'd also love to hear any great things you do at home with your children:) You can also check out my guest blog about Montessori at Adventures in My Life.





6 comments:

  1. Hello! Newest follower from the Say Hi Sunday Hop... would love for you to consider following me back! xo Malia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier:) If you would like to know more about giveaways contact me on my email...
    mrs.cakes01@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following you from the Say Hi hop, and really enjoyed this blog! I've started to incorporate some of these things into my daughter's life already at 6 months. We only play with 2-3 toys out at once and I'm avoiding "no" like the plague (haha)... hope to see you around my blog too!

    Kaylene
    http://giannaclare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post! As an educator and parent, I think you are DEAD ON. I read this and realized we have very similar perspectives. What is 'funny' is I recently blogged about parents and "no". I would love your opinion (http://departingthetext.blogspot.com/2011/07/yes-when-antidote-for-parent-child.html)

    This week I blogged about listening vs. deaf ears.

    If you visit, I'd love to hear your opinions. In the meantime, I look forward to visiting you more often. GREAT MEETING YOU!

    Meryl
    http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these tips. I appreciate them. I need to use my "no" better and less and we could benefit from incorporating a timer. Thanks!

    I am visiting from the Say Hi Sunday blog hop. It is nice to "meet" you. I hope that you have a great week!

    Blessings,
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very helpful, as I am just bginning to explore the Montessori Method with my littlest one. I homeschool the others but this seemed like something I wanted to try my hand at.

    It seems that there is so much to learn about, I like the to the point simple list that I can refer to here, to keep things in perspective when things seem overwhelming.

    Oh, I am a new follower from the I <3 Blogging Hop.

    Danelle (http://ourwolvesden.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete